BioImagingUK is an organic organization of UK scientists that develop, use, or administer imaging solutions for life sciences research.
BioImagingUK participates in Euro-BioImaging, and seeks to represent the views of UK scientists that use imaging to Euro-BioImaging and the wider community. This Wiki serves as our central point of collaboration.
Aims & Activities
- To develop and exploit new imaging technologies– driving development of and access to state-of-the-art imaging instrumentation.
- To devise and help implement mechanisms to enable shared access to the general and specialized expertise based in life sciences and medical imaging laboratories and facilities throughout the UK.
- To engage our departments, universities, and funding bodies to develop career models for the personnel that develop, maintain, and enable advanced imaging technology for the life and medical sciences.
- To define new training programmes, to provide the foundation for the next advances in life sciences and medical imaging within the UK.
- To work inclusively to define short and long-term strategy statements to our research funding bodies, in order to help articulate funding requirements and priorities.
News and Updates
MARCH 2015 UPDATE: BioImagingUK has been asked to contribute to two separate, but related UK Govt consultations:
- The joint BBSRC/EPSRC/MRC consultation on 'Technology Touching Life'. Deadline is March 27, 2015. Questions and draft answers are here.
- The Nurse Review of Research Councils: call for evidence. Deadline is 17 April, 2015. Topics and feedback items are here.
JULY 2014 UPDATE: BioImagingUK, its goals and its potential structure were highlighted in the June 2014 issue of InFocus, the official magazine of the Royal Microscopical Society. (PDF)
JUNE 2014 UPDATE: A major outcome of BioimagingUK meeting at LRI was the decision to collaborate on responses to the BIS Consultation. The BioImagingUK Submission includes responses from both the Biological and Medical Imaging communities.
NOVEMBER 2013 UPDATE: Outcomes from the 1st Euro-BioImaging EoI Node Call: Strong UK Performance!!!!
NOVEMBER 2012 UPDATE: The final report from the BioImagingUK Strategy Meeting, held 2-3 July, 2012 at the Wellcome Trust Center in London, is now available. See our Meetings page for more info.
BIOIMAGING ON THE UK STRATEGIC ROADMAP: The RCUK Strategic Framework for Capital Investment highlights critical need for investment in biological and medical imaging. BioImagingUK even gets mentioned (p.19)! Thanks to all who responded to the consultation.
Meetings and Docs
We hold Meetings to discuss our priorities, activities, and strategies
- Presentations from Euro-BioImaging Stakeholders Meeting, Heidelberg, Nov 25-26, 2013 now linked from our Meetings page.
- Latest Meeting: BioImagingUK Discussion on imaging communities and BIS Consultation, LRI London, June 13, 2014. See Meetings for programme, presentations and other info.
- Next Meeting: 7th Annual UK Facilities Managers Meeting, Jan 5-6, 2015, LMB Cambridge. See Meetings
- See our BioImagingUK Strategy Meeting Report for more info on our future directions
We've prepared a series of Strategy Documents, defined by a series of BioImagingUK Working Groups.
We invite the BioImagingUK community to upload microscopy and imaging-related protocols to the Training & Documents page, which will provide a valuable resource for everyone.
Are you interested in collaborating with us to maintain and to push forward the leading role of British research in bioimaging? It is easy: join the BioImagingUK Mailing List